Found these on Craigslist. I had to put 10mm spaces on front and back and use longer Lug nuts up front with longer Studs in back. I think they turned out pretty sweet. She handles much better than my skinny original 185x14s. Thanks to Chris at www.t3technique.com for helping out with info and hardware.
I had some issues with trying to get my new Sony head unit to work with my original speaker wiring. It turns out that the original speaker wiring consisted of 3 wires. A common ground, a left and a right. For some reason even with my West Virginian wiring skills to make this work I was overloading the radio and ignition circuits. Radio was red hot and my ignition switch actually MELTED.
So, after a tip from my buddy at Kyle Automotive Specialties, I re-ran the speaker wires from front to back, replacing the existing 3 wire setup. Here is how I did it.
Unscrew the small screws above the sliding door. About 6 including the heater vent screws. This allows you to access the single tube covered wiring harness containing the 3 wires from the front. Using my WV engineering skills, I cut the old speaker wire harness behind the glove box, then black taped two new speaker wires to the old 3 wire harness. Make sure you have enough speaker cable to reach all the way back to the compartment over the rear seat. Also, I had to bend back a couple wire holders above the sliding door.
After that I was able to pull the new wires through the existing channel all the way back leaving enough in front to reach the radio. I then hooked up the rear speakers and the front radio connections. No more load issues on my audio circuits.
I threw in a Bob Marley mp3 CD to break in the new system and now, happy days are here to stay, until my bus either melts or catches on fire.
I how this helps someone.
In April of 2012 I felt the urge to shed some vehicles. Yes I sold my beloved 1975 Datsun 280Z… 🙁 and my mind splitting 1986 Yamaha Fazer. Using Craigslist to get rid of both in less than 24 hrs. Very shortly after that, I started looking at Volkswagen Bus’. I considered a mint 1969 Type 2 bus for lots of money from FLA, but ended up thinking I wouldn’t enjoy fixing / destroying it up.
This page is dedicated to all the wonderful work (cough) I am doing on this old Beast.
These are the things I have replaced or fixed on my 1982 VW Westfalia
- Brake Lines
- Tires – Hankook RA08 2000179 – 185R14 102/100 Q
- Ignition Coil
- Ignition Rotor
- Ignition Cap
- Ignition Switch
- Ignition Plugs
- Ignition Wires
- Temperature Sensor II
- Intake Boot (fixed the hot starting problems)
- Sony Radio with Remote Control and USB sweetness